Sunday 10 March 2013




Mahashivratri – the great night or light of Lord Shiva


Hello All, firstly happy Shivratri or should I say wishing you light through Shiva’s Blessings. Being an ardent devotee of Shiva, I was just pondering few days back as to how to celebrate the favourite day of my favourite deity Shiva. First, I thought I’d fast which I have done on Mondays (Lord Shiva’s favourite day in the week). Of course, most devotees stay awake the whole night which I have never been able to do; though I have tried various methods!! I was wondering why I had such poor ‘self-control’ in staying awake and how do I make this Shivratri special. Then, I heard an inner voice which told me to celebrate Shivratri for its 'true meaning'. This is totally my take and really hope I don’t hurt the sentiments of anyone.

‘Shivratri’ means the great night of Shiva, where in one chants, meditates and tunes up to Shiva energy; thereby, dispelling darkness through enlightenment via Shiva. So, then doesn’t it mean that we don’t just worship Shiva but try to understand the true significance of the rituals, and emulate Shiva Himself? Therefore, keeping awake is symbolic of the kind of awareness, mental purity and oneness of purpose needed to reach the goal- ‘Shiva’. For the spiritual aspirant, Lord Shiva is the Supreme Consciousness that illuminates the three states of waking, dreaming and deep sleep. The dawning of the fourth state, ‘turiya’ is consonant with the awakening of the individual.

Now, we all know Lord Shiva is the God who destroys among the Holy Trinity. So what exactly would we want Shiva to ‘destroy’ in our life? Obviously darkness and that would be anger, greed, hatred, attachments and the infinite negatives! We have to ‘let-go’ of the old in order to allow the new and divine energy. Many fear Lord Shiva’s destructive capacity, and yet it is destruction for the purpose of regeneration. Without death, life cannot begin anew. So, praying to Shiva or chanting his name is beseeching him to enlighten us. The 5 lettered Shiv mantra ‘Om Namah Shivay’ means ‘I bow to Shiva’. Chanting this mantra is supposedly beneficial for many ailments and bestows sense of peace too. Shiva principle descends 25 times more today, and hence it is even more auspicious to chant on Shivratri. Also, happened to read that, “the ‘m’ added to ‘namashivaya-m’ activates the right brain, the part of the brain that stores memories in images only and the connection to the Divine immediately happens. The Right inspiration will happen as per the words”- Naran, healing by meditation blog.
  
I remember, when in school i used to think that those who have managed to stay awake the whole night on Shivratri – even if it was watching movies, playing cards and similar means had successfully brought in divine blessings. Thankfully (after ages!) I’ve realized that ‘night’ is a metaphor for darkness’, not necessarily day-night circle.  Now, I seek divine blessings not just by chanting the Shiv mantra; but also by making the conscious decision to work from ‘soul-consciousness’ and not ‘ego consciousness’, which is going to be a colossal task! Yet, why worry when my Shiva is with me to guide me lovingly and at times joltingly; to ensure I’m progressing on the path. What more can a spiritual seeker ask for?!

Coming back to my decision of celebrating Mahashivratri for its true meaning. No sooner had the day begun and like a divine sign I was experiencing immense peace, centeredness and bliss (despite the usual annoyances one encounters); almost like being told that ‘I’m on track’. This wonderful energy inspired me to write this piece and share it with those interested. And then, as those on my FB list saw, the true meaning of my name ‘Chaitanya’ was shown to me today on a Shiva site; the meaning being ‘Divine Consciousness’. The day has come with such divine blessings that it has me in a space of gratitude and loving energy. And I’m yet to go to the temple, or Shiva might come to me in some way. Like the time, when my sister and me returned without getting a glimpse of Lord Shiva on Shivratri due to the long queue! We came back disappointed and I went to bed with the last thought of ‘didn’t get to see Shiva on Shivratri’, and I dreamt of Lord Shiva (the same as the first picture). Of course, it was interpreted in million ways- subconscious conjecturing the image (which by the way I haven’t seen at all- not this Shiva deity/temple). Some even said ‘Shiva was angry as I didn’t go inside’. Well, I liked this last version ‘your sincere wish was what mattered and Shiva gave you darshan’. I woke up feeling great and that is what finally matters! The intention is far more important than the ritual or how you perform it!! And, our ‘Bholenath’ wants only our love and surrender, which is why it is so easy to appease or worship Him.

There are many myths associated to this festival too, but the one where in Lord Shiva drinks poison for the well-being of the world speaks volumes about this journey of ‘light-darkness’. Just as Shiva drinks poison to ensure nectar emerges, we will on many occasions have to drink poison (tough situations, people etc), and trust that surely after the churning, nectar will emerge for our good. Yes, it’s difficult and much easier to run away but that will not help in the long run! Faith that ‘nectar’ will be rewarded after the ‘poison or test’ is paramount. Else we will tend to get bitter or keep running and face the same tests till we conquer it. So why not surrender to ‘Shiva’ and allow the guidance to flow through. And soon guidance comes from within us, as that is where Shiva dwells; we only have to recognise and listen to it!

Hence, the festival of Shivratri encourages us to deal with 'wars within ourselves'- between ego and soul, poison and nectar, fear and love. Let us connect to our ‘Shiva’ to seek mental purity, clarity and divine consciousness (yes, now im in love with this term!). Sounding narcisstic nah but little self-love is permitted. It is also ‘letting go’ of the past and forgiving ourselves as much as others. One cannot grow by being hard and punishing self for past grievances. It’s essential to accept, work on mistakes, let it go and love oneself, just as Lord Shiva forgives our mistakes and lovingly blesses us. Recently came across this lovely exercise titled ‘homework for the soul’- coincidence that one finds what one is seeking- I choose to call it Divine Timing, and readiness of the person to listen to one’s soul and watch out for the signs. “Go into the bathroom. Look at yourself in the mirror. Apologize for hurting this person all these years. Be specific. Forgive yourself for hurting this person all these years. Don't lie. Tell the person looking at you that you love them. Mean it. If you didn't cry, you did it wrong.”- Unknown Author!

As this person aptly sums, “Mahashivaratri is thus not only a ritual but also a cosmic definition of the Hindu universe. It dispels ignorance, emanates the light of knowledge, makes one aware of the universe, ushers in the spring after the cold and dry winter, and invokes the supreme power to take cognizance of the beings that were created by Him” – unknown author!


Our ultimate aim ought to be to move from ‘Om Namah Shivay’ to ‘Shivohum – I’m Shiva Consciousness, and that would happen when the ego is fully removed and there is only Shiva Energy! Not sure where all my thoughts have transgressed but think it relates to Shiva and related aspects. Hoping the article has thrown some light about this wondrous day. I know its a hard journey conquering the ego but it has to start & what better day than on Shiva’s favourite Day!

Wishing us all a ‘happy transition journey’ on this auspicious day of Mahashivratri- ‘Namah Shivayam’ :)






No comments:

Post a Comment